Pages

Saturday, September 17, 2022

A week filled up with goodness

It's been a good week sprinkled with surprises. 


An afternoon visit and dinner with my Helotes family on Wednesday....

       1.

Elena's new passion for violin.  Although she's only had one in-person lesson, she spends hours watching You Tube violin tutorials and FaceTiming with her cousin Audrey who plays viola.

Her mom brought out her violin from high school and they played a duet of "Mary Had A. Little Lamb."

It's wonderful to see the intense pleasure on a child's face learning something new.  




       2.

On Thursday, Joy brought lunch for a not-long-enough visit on her way to book group. I should have taken a picture of Joy--she looked so beautiful--but I did take one of the bouquet she brought: 



       3.

On Friday,  while rushing around doing errands to get ready for my trip, Kate called and invited me to stop by for her delicious chicken salad, and I couldn't say no. 

       4.

On the way, I went to Bird Bakery to get cookies and bread.  A stranger said, "Put up your money.  This is on me." 

"I do this," he said.  "It makes me happy.  Last night I bought dinner for a family and the man said, 'Nobody has ever bought me dinner before.'"

"You're going around spreading sunshine," I told him. 

       5.

Then errands galore--all the things that have to be done, washed, packed, or fixed before a trip--I was standing the kitchen wondering, "What's for dinner?"

At that exact moment, Jan called and said, "I made enough dinner for two, come on over."  So I did--salmon patties and beans and corn and salad.  Yummy!



       6.

We visited our neighbors when we took our evening walk around the block.  It was Curran's birthday and they offered us a basket of fruit and candy he'd gotten for his birthday--since they are off to Sedona. 


I don't need meals on wheels on weeks with so many friends who are bringers, inviters and givers of good food!  

       7.

The generosity of friends continued with Freda taking Luci on a long walk this morning.  She left me a book I planned to read when I return, but already I'm already engrossed in it. 

The Lincoln Highway by Amos Towles. 


       8.

September 16th, Curran's birthday, was also the 77th wedding anniversary of my parents. Bob and Jocelyn ordered and delivered and set up the recumbent bike she wanted.  A month past her 97th birthday, it's so wonderful that she's as healthy and active as ever! 



She told another woman at the beauty shop, "I think it's fun getting old.  Nobody can tell you what to do!" 





No comments: