Pages

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Spending the Day With a Two-Year-Old Reminds me to Look at Everything

First, we went to the dollar store.  The dollar store had bells on the door.  "I touch it?" Elena asked.

Then we went to Fiesta on Main, where Elena looked up close at every piñata in the store. "One, two, three, more."  That means a lot.

We were headed to the children's museum, but Elena preferred to give bread to the ducks.  After they got their fill of bread, she said "I feed them goldfish"--meaning the kind we had in the car.  "Yenna, they swimming!" she said as the cracker goldfish floated on the surface of the river.

I'd bought her a helium balloon at the dollar store and she sang "Happy Buhday" with it in the car.  She took it with her when we rode the train through the park.  "Do you want to ride the train?" I had asked her earlier.  "No, I don't like it." she said.  "You can sit on my lap," I said.  "Oka-a-y!" she said.  She has the most delightful "okay" I've ever heard--stretching it out into three syllables. 

We lost the balloon in a parking lot.  "Bye bye, Boon!" she said, as we watched it float far away into the clouds. 

"Ride choo choo again?" she asked as I was driving her to meet her mom for her two-year check up. 

"I want candy," she said, walking to the place where I store a little stash.  I'll never forget the delight of watching tiny fingers slowly unwrap each Hershey's Kiss.  "I open it!" she said.

What sweetness will I unwrap today, I wonder?  


No comments: