Pages

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Salon Tonight....

Ten women (one absent): we are in our forties, fifties, sixties, and seventies.
Janet, our leader, asked us to reflect on the year we've just had: our happiest, most challenging, best memories of the year.

We talked about itches and fears, losses and lessons learned.

What strikes me when women talk is courage to tell the truth and to find humor in remembering even the hard things.  I left with a larger sense of everyone's stories and how connected we all are.

As for me, I talked about the joy and losses of being sixty-five: losing certain confidences in the body that I had when I was younger, yet gaining serenity and curiosity as I continue to grow.

It's wonderful to have a group of friends of different ages and histories!

At the end of the meeting, Janet gave each of us a wrapped present from the junk drawer.  From whatever we got (bubbles or crayons, a rubber stamp of a postage stamp from Italy, a snow globe with Buddha in it, a little silver saint, etc) we all came up with what we'd like to discover in the year just starting.

Mine was a magnet with the cowardly lion and the tin man on it, and the words, Liquid Courage.  I suppose that my new year will ask me to strengthen my heart and my courage--either that or take up drinking!


No comments: