Pages

Tuesday, December 3, 2019

The New Old Bear

Four or five years ago, a granddaughter wanted to borrow her grandmother's teddy bear, just for a few days.  Reluctantly--because the grandmother liked to sleep with her bear--she said yes, of course, sure.

When a grandmother lends a little girl her bear, she doesn't really expect it back.

But sometimes the grandmother misses her big fuzzy bear--as she's always had a fondness for bears and furry company.

So one day last week, the grandmother decided to see if she could track down, say, an identical twin to her former bear.  Amazon, for all it's much-publicized faults lately, was able to provide a fat and furry twin, just as cuddly as its predecessor.

Many reviewers admitted that they had adopted the bear for themselves, not for a child.  "I am embarrassed to admit it," one said, "But I am seventy-years-old and I got this bear for myself."

Or: "I got one for my grandson and it was so adorable I had to order a second one, for me!"

The grandmother pressed the "Place order" button and then  forgot about it.

On Sunday, she was feeling lonesome and a little bit blue.  When a box was delivered in the afternoon, she said out loud, "Wonder what that could be?'

She opened the box, and to her delight, this little guy was inside!


Afraid she might be unable to get attached to a substitute bear, the grandmother left his tag on his ear until today, in case she decided to send him back.

After an afternoon watching "The Crown" together, the grandmother has decided that furry old Winston isn't going anywhere.

No comments: