Pages

Monday, September 7, 2020

Bittersweet

Bonnie and Elena rode in the rodeo in Bandera last night, Bonnie roping and Elena proudly riding in the opening parade.  When Will told me that rodeo people don't wear masks, I went instead for a short visit at their house and watched  Bonnie and Elena shampoo and brush their horses. But first, Elena saddled up and galloped like a pint-sized pro--I was amazed at her confidence and skill! 

When I arrived, she gave me one of her amazing hugs and I couldn't hold back the tears.  Such sweetness, such a reminder of life the way it was pre-COVID! 

I gazed at everything as if memorizing the beautiful afternoon--Elena giggling, hugging the dogs, washing the horses, riding both saddled and bare-backed, laughing,  and showing me her school set up in the corner of the dining room.  Leaving, and even this morning, I feel sad, so aware of the shadow of this virus, so lonesome.

Those eyes!  That joy!

"Is Trump still the president?" she asked.

"Unfortunately, yes," one of us answered.

"Oh no!" she said.  "There's a lot of talk about politics right now, but I don't get it.  I'm just a little kid."



Elena and Charlie








No comments: