Pages

Thursday, November 23, 2023

Gratitudes

A few days ago, Luci and I went on adventure--a walk through North Star Mall, from one end to the other and down the Penney's wing.  I was shopping for a shower curtain, but also testing the ability of my feet to do the whole mall. 

The first half was fun, seeing the stores and kiosks I hadn't seen since before COVID and knee surgery.  Build a Bear and the Lego store gave me a bit of a pang: those pre-Christmas and pre-birthday shopping  days are over, now the kids want money for dates and clothes and car parts. 

The second half was painful and I wondered if we'd make it all the way back from Dillards to Macy's.  Luci sensed the exact moment the fire in my feet flared and started licking them vigorously. Even though it doesn't help, I am grateful for a furry little healer who thinks it will.  She slowed her pace to match mine, glancing up every few steps as if to say, "Are you okay?" 

At that exact moment, Jocelyn called and accompanied me by phone, as I hobbled back to the car vowing that this would be my last mall adventure.   I was grateful for the company of both, Jocelyn and Luci. 

I am grateful to Janet for finding Luci for me at SNIPSA--and for her willingness, along with Will's family, to keep her when I need to travel sans doggie. 

I am grateful for online shopping.  Any minute. now, I'm expecting Amazon to deliver my pre-let birch tree, two books, and a bath mat. 

In my newly painted bathroom, the only pictures on the wall are gifts from Betty and Nellie.  Nellie and I met our junior year of high school when my family moved to Lawrenceville.  Betty and I met in kindergarten in Cochran.  

Three little framed cards, watercolored houses, remind of a trip with Betty when she saw me looking at the cards and bought them.  The print of Nellie's painting reminds me of a trip when she visited Texas, 2016.  

It's kind of ironic that my bathroom is adorned with gifts from two of my oldest friends, the only two in two high schools combined who are still friends. 

I'm grateful for the unseen technology that brings us AC, heat, electricity, telephones, internet, and hot water. For toothpaste, tape, books, Thai food, and reliable cars.  For memories, art supplies, and warm socks.

I'm thankful for what sanity, intelligence, and kindness remain in this world's insanity. 

And for the play house in which I live, I'm so grateful to my parents who gave it to me as a Christmas present 25 years ago. 

As my daddy always said, "Keep the main thing the main thing." The people in my life, blood-related or otherwise-- are always the main things.  

Whenever anyone asks Carlene how she's lived such a long and healthy life, her answer is, "Gratitude."  She has lost so many beloved people, including her parents, all three of her brothers, one of them when he was only ten, her oldest grandson Canaan in March, almost all her same-age friends, and the love of her life, my daddy.  From Carlene, I've learned many things.  Here are two that I think about every day:

1. Gratitude for those with whom you've shared  many years and memories--including those who are no longer physically present. 

2. "Everything is tuition"--closely akin to gratitude. No mistake or regret escapes this net--as we learn from every single thing that happens. 






No comments: