Pages

Saturday, November 4, 2023

The DNA of a snob

I may have tracked down a few clues to Luci's genetic composition.  After a conversation with a young man at the nail salon today, I feel pretty sure she's part dachshund.

But first, the back story:

Sometimes when Carma comes to visit, Luci is extraordinarily rude: she hides behind me and refuses to acknowledge her exuberant tail-wagging guest.  Carma  kisses her friend and begs her to play, but Luci refuses. Sometimes she can't resist kissing her back, but it's a quick go-away-now kiss, then she returns to her solitude behind me, or worse: she jumps into Jan's lap. 

Jan and I are mystified.  Does Luci need therapy? Jan wonders. Is she perhaps a tiny bit neurotic?

I feel like a bad mama on those days.  Have I raised an ill-mannered dog?  IS she neurotic?  

For me, voted "friendliest" in my senior year of high school, I'm not sure what to do when Luci finds it beneath her to be friendly! 

Everywhere she goes, she charms the humans who meet her.  Everyone, even Carma, loves her.  So why does she pointedly refuse to show Carma some love?

The young man at the nail salon raises dachshunds.  He told me it's the sweetest of breeds, "But they can be snobs, especially to other dogs.  They act like they think they're better than other canines."  

Someone has finally named Luci's snobby behavior Snubbing other dogs is a characteristic of otherwise-lovely dachshunds.  As a dog mama, I feel vindicated!  It's in her blood! 

I could hardly wait to text Jan with this news....

To which Jan replied: "Carma says, Harrumph. But what can a dog expect in Alamo Heights but to live next to a snob next door? Nevertheless, she's inviting Luci for a walk in a few minutes if she's interested."

In the course of this day, strangers have guessed her breed as (1) a miniature Collie, (2) "one of them dogs like the queen likes, oh yeah, a Corgie," (3) a Sheltie, and (4) "a weenie dog."   Turns out she's still a mutt, a mutt with a strain of 09er dachshund.  


No comments: