Pages

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Art Poles

Marcy, a poet and member of the Saturday group, moved to Asheville, North Carolina--where she and her husband are building a house and garden and enjoying being near their children.  Though packing up a lifetime of furniture and books and household items was daunting, she is so happy in her new space.

While we, her San Antonio friends, didn't want her to leave, we admired the courage it took to make this big change.

This morning, I got a note from her describing a garden project that would inspire me to copy her if I had a garden:

"The garden is beginning to look like someone actually lives here now.

My project for this week is painting at least one garden art pole.  I think I want three to plant as a group. The first one I will make six foot tall, then two smaller. I think the first one will perhaps be a take off on Ananis Nin's words ---and the day came when the pain of staying tight in the bud was greater than the risk it takes to bloom.
  
Then of course I must have one with a dance theme---what do you think of a variation of Robt Brault's words: Know that taking a step backwards after taking a step forward is not a disaster, it is a cha-cha." 


Marcy's email is one of those timely messages I mentioned in an earlier post: the right words at the right time that answer a question rumbling around in my mind.  Blooming takes risk, but it's not as painful as staying tight in the bud. On this May morning, I'm thinking how bigger a life can be if we bloom and dance. 

I was so inspired by this idea that I asked Marcy more about it and she directed me to Stephanie Burgess' blog.  Check it out!

http://www.paintedpeace.com







No comments: