Pages

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Writing Blog Entries

Is like putting daily rough drafts on the screen.  Doing this stretches me in a way because it's out of my usual zone to think anyone would want to read my early morning ramblings on random topics.  I remember when I first read Annie Lamott's advice that we should write lots of "shitty first drafts"--excellent advice for writers who are obsessive in revising, like me.

The writer, E.M. Forster, asked: "How do I know what I think until I see what I say?"

Sometimes I re-read a former entry and think, like J. Alfred Prufrock in the T.S. Eliot poem: "That is not what I meant at all."

Even in conversation, I often want to revise what I just said, wishing I could "take something back" or say it better.

I don't like for anyone to see my house when it's messy.  Maybe one day I'll be more enlightened.  Maybe I'll invite people over for a party when the dishes from the night before are soaking in dirty sink water and unfolded laundry is piled all over the sofa, but I'm not there yet.

Writing blog entries is my practice in opening the door.

No comments: