Pages

Friday, May 30, 2014

Remember Pie?


I watched a movie some time ago--I think it was called Sweet Land--and the scene that I remember most is this:

Two women, speaking different languages, sit down at a table in a farmhouse and eat a whole pie together.  What a delightful concept--especially in these days of gluten and sugar avoidance!

Carlene remembered her mother and grandmother making eating pie when their men were working on the farm--and I love imagining my Mimi and her Cana devouring an entire pie with relish together!

Pie is a wonderful concoction of fruits and creamy chocolates and buttery crusts.  You might as well apply them directly to the hips and be done with it if you choose to partake regularly, I guess, but maybe an inch would be worth the pleasure.  

In Home Ec in high school, we learned to make lemon chiffon pies in graham cracker crusts and that pie is still one of my favorites.  If I had a double-boiler, I might make one right now.

Back in the day when we were young and fervent macrobiotics and sugar-avoiders, I remember my friend Mary Locke saying she wanted to bring out a chocolate pie and I said I wasn't eating sugar.  I have regretted that refusal for 30 plus years because she makes one mean pie, or did back in the day.

I think we should have Pie Day at least once a month and invite a friend over to eat it with us.  And I think we might all be inspired to do that if we watch the movie, Waitress, or the movie, Sweet Land.

When I get back from Chicago, I'm making a pie!





No comments: