Pages

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

What do your things say about who you are?

Last night, Julianne and I went to a lecture at the Mind Science Foundation--by Sam Gosling, author of Snoop.  Gosling and his team of researchers study rooms and objects, what spaces and possessions say about their owners.  Are they liberals or conservatives, extroverts or introverts, agreeable people or not so much?  Do they conscientiously complete tasks or do they start one thing before finishing another? Do they tend to be more conformists or more creative?

He didn't talk one bit about Mini Coopers, however--or any other car, but when he signed my book, he said that cars say a lot about their drivers.

I told Julianne that I haven't felt like myself since I've been driving a Honda--even though it has lots of great features.  I feel like I'm wearing someone else's too-big clothes.

I was mulling over that this morning when my friend Mike in Georgia (the only Ex who's still my friend) called.

"I know you must think I've forgotten about you," he said--instead of hello--"But I'm never forgetting about you.  I love you, Darlin' and I always will. I have a ten-foot pole in the back of my mind with your smiling face on it.  Whenever I get down, I go up to the front of my brain and look at it and smile."

"Are you down today, that's why you're calling?" I asked.

"No," he said.  (Mike is never down that I know of--which may mean he doesn't look at that ten-foot pole with my picture on it all that often.) "I just had a feeling you might be."

He told me about the cars he was refurbishing, including a vintage Beetle, baby blue and white. And two couches he's making out of old cars.  And all the things he's repairing for his friends.  "I don't have time to get down," he said.  "As long as I'm making things out in the shop, I live in Paradise."

"But this Beetle--it has your name written all over it," he said. "You better sell that Honda and get back to yourself.  You aren't a Honda girl, that's for sure."

It's almost like being in love: having a friend who knows I'm not a Honda girl!

No comments: