Pages

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Lea's 80th Birthday

Tonight the Thursday writing group celebrated Lea Glisson's 80th birthday.
In this picture, she is holding a delicious fruit-covered pavlova--and we are all wearing caftans that Mercedes gave us for Christmas.


         On the occasion of her 80th birthday, Lea wrote a piece that ended with "another way to think about my next ten years"--and I asked her if I could post her list as inspiration:

I will count my blessings I receive from my friends instead of the lines on my face.

I will continue to say "Thank you, Jesus" every time the elevator doors open and I am able to step out.

I will read my journals from years past and be reminded again how few things I worried about actually came to pass.

I will thank the coffee growers for that wonderful bean they turn into coffee so I can have that first hot cup of the day.

I will continue to be grateful for Fred who puts the newspaper in my driveway every day and even double sacks it on rainy days.

I will eat ice cream without guilt and totally dismiss the idea of clogged arteries.

I will spend more time in the front porch swing and less time thinking about my problems.

I will remember the joy of laughter and the freedom that accompanies tears. 

I will take more risks and reap the expected rewards.

I will look up at the blue sky with its soft white cloud and thank the Lord for my life.

I will ignore the dead grass in the yard and make the drought the responsible party.

Now and then I will deliberately hang a towel crooked or turn a jar the wrong way just to prove I am not obsessive compulsive.

I will remember that exercise is important to maintain good health, but if I miss a day it is not the end of the world.

And most important of al, I will remember to tell the people in my life that I love them and they give meaning to me every day.

Having done all that, when I reach my 90th birthday, I will say 80 wasn't all that old!


No comments: