Pages

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?

Does anyone remember the movie by that name, starring Sidney Poitier?

I happened to think of it tonight, browsing Netflix, watching a snippet of a French movie, All Together, starring--among four French actors-- Jane Fonda.

As it happens, who's coming to dinner in Texas is Mike, driving here from Georgia for Thanksgiving--which we'll spend at Kate's, a feast around her huge table with turkey and pies and all good things.

I had a full day today with Miss Elena, including watching the entire Wizard of Oz.  I watched that movie every year growing up, but I had never noticed that the Lion, the Scarecrow, the Tin Man and the Wizard himself were played by the four men she knew in Kansas!

I have a bouquet of flowers on the table, sent from Mike on Saturday.  "Where did you get those?" she asked.

"My friend Mike sent them.  Do you like them?"

"They are beautiful, Yenna!  AND they are interesting."

Then she proceeded to make our lunch out of kinetic sand, rolling coils and cutting them into slices like Slice-and-Bake cookies, then putting them in her wooden play oven.

"Santa Claus and the reindeers are going to bring me flowers, too," she said.  "The talking reindeers and the ones that can't talk."

She saw a picture of Nana and Granddaddy.  "Is that Nana's daddy?"

I explained that he was her husband, MY daddy.  "Oh yeah," she said, "I know him.  He's in Heaven."

Then, after thinking a little bit about it, she asked, "Does he speak English or Spanish?"






No comments: