Pages

Thursday, November 6, 2014

Riding

I'm seldom a passenger in a car, almost always the driver.  Yesterday I was driven to lunch by my firefighter son in his yellow rescue rain jacket.

Elena was sleeping when they arrived, so we sat in the parking lot to let her get her nap out, then had a delicious Beto's meal, just right for a rainy day.

On the way home, we went to Bird Bakery, then stopped by the Doll House shop on Broadway.  Elena wasn't particularly interested in the doll houses, but she loved those German-made animals, and she could name them all in Spanish.  I'd planned to drive to the doll hospital in Seguin today, but the Doll House people said they could re-string my three loose-jointed dolls--and just a few blocks from home.

Later, as we were sitting on the floor painting a cardboard crown, Elena said, "Remember Nana?"  Yes, I said.  What made you think of Nana?  "Because her is a really good good person," she said. "Does Nana know I go pee pee on the potty?"


Elena in Daddy's rain jacket

Lady Liberty washing dishes?



First, you paint your crown.
Then you glue on sparkles.
Then you ride in your chariot.
Last night, I met a friend for another Beto's meal, just as delicious as lunch!  My birthday continued with conversation and posole--a wonderful day!

Before bed, I watched the three-episode mini-series, South Riding, ending with these words by the school--mistress to the graduating students of her school:

"Those of you who are leaving will find the world a lot more complicated than it looks. As you get older, you know fewer things for certain, not more.  You've heard me say before, Question everything. Question authority.  But open your ears, your eyes, and your hearts, too.  Above all, enjoy your lives and live to the full. Please don't ever be afraid. The future belongs to you...."



No comments: