Pages

Monday, November 17, 2014

Life Is Good

Sometimes the most simple phrases have a way of catching on and never leaving us.  Like T-shirts that proclaim, "Life Is Good"--which of course it is!

Or "Life is like a box of chocolates."

Or Carlene's "Everything is tuition" or "People are different."

Or my daddy's advice teaching me to drive: "You never know what the other fella's gonna do."

When things go wrong or we're needing a wisdom or insight, we might turn to poetry or music, pow wows with friends or prayers, but we might also be sustained by the simplest sentences  hanging out in our minds.

My friend Gary who died two years ago had one that did that for me.  "It's a big world," he'd say--whenever someone (or some political partisan) did something inexplicably, off-the-charts, unnervingly--odd.

Never thrown off by other people's beliefs or behaviors, he'd just smile that wonderful Buddha smile of his and say, "It's a big world."

Sadly, he's been gone for these two years, but he left behind a lot of wisdom that comes to my mind just when I need it.






No comments: