Pages

Thursday, March 19, 2015

Bluegrass Music: Wood, Wire, and Words

It's fitting that on my daddy's birthday, Terry Gross (NPR, Fresh Air) interviewed Norman Blake this morning.  I walked into the house and heard a voice that sounded like my daddy singing and picking and I perked up my ears as I listened to the entire interview.

Norman Blake and his wife Nancy are featured on his new album Wood, Wire and Words.  They had a lively music career for a long time--playing with Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan--and he traveled with June Carter Cash for a while.

Although known as one of the most prominent acoustic guitar flatpickers, Norman Blake is a multi-instrumentalist and vocalist. Other instruments he plays include the mandolin, 6-string banjo, fiddle, dobro, banjo and viola.

For a while, he and Nancy divorced, then re-married.  Terry asked him why.  "Well, our divorce just didn't work out," he said.

If you like bluegrass and want to hear that familiar background music on Nashville Skyline, you'll enjoy this interview!




No comments: