Pages

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Books and Movies

The Train to Crystal City, by San Antonio's Jan Jarboe Russell, is the story of Japanese and German citizens who spent years at the Crystal City, Texas, internment camp during World War II.  I highly recommend this book--Jan's project for the past five years, now on the New York Times best seller list.

Still Alice, the movie, is brilliantly acted by Julianne Moore--the story of a woman with early-onset Alzheimer's.  I read the book when it first came out--a book that was rejected numerous times, then self-published, then finally picked up by a major publisher.

The Second Best Marigold Hotel was not favorably reviewed, but I'm not particular.  I liked it.  I liked the cast and the beautiful colors of India and found it very entertaining.  There were so many good lines in it, one of which (in the turning around of expressions common in non-native speakers of English): "There's no present like the time."

I heard an interview of the author of My Accidental Jihad on NPR and ordered the book and am halfway through it tonight--a well written account of a young American woman who marries an older man from Libya.

Today is mine and Carlene's last day together and we may see McFarland.   We're so enjoying watching the yard men repair my long-neglected yard with a weed-eater and new plantings, however, that we may stay home for the final round of that instead.


No comments: