Pages

Sunday, June 26, 2016

A windfall of clothes!

After Show and Tell, on my way to the library, I stopped by an estate sale in Olmos Park.  As always, I assumed that the last owner of the house must have died....(When that is the case, everyone walks around and talks softly, feeling that mix of curiosity and sadness that comes while invading the rooms of dead people.)  

But no: a young couple and their two teenaged children had just picked up and moved, leaving all their personal effects and furniture to be sold.  I felt better.  Knowing they had abandoned their house by choice,  I just felt like Goldilocks, the bears out in the forest somewhere.

There were several brand new cameras, at least five sofas, furniture in every room of the house, and closets filled with designer clothes, some with the tags still attached, never worn. Who are these people? I wondered.  And why did they not take their clothes and cameras and paintings to their new address?

The sweaters were all $25, one with a $280 price tag. The jackets and blouses were marked $45, the pants $24.  And everything I tried on fit!

Because the estate sale clerk and I struck up a conversation, she gave me the 50% discount that's supposed to start tomorrow, so I walked out with four spectacular jackets and blouses and two pair of pants for practically nothing.

I can't stop thinking about the woman whose clothes I will be happily wearing.  Will she miss them?  Did she ever even wear them?  (Her closet was larger than my bedroom.) I don't know one designer from another (never having bought designer clothes) but the woman in the closet trying on clothes  with me was duly impressed.  Seven evening gowns for $3000 apiece?  Even with 50% off, I wasn't remotely tempted.







No comments: