Pages

Friday, June 10, 2016

Good things

1.

Yesterday, I got a downpour of good, starting with this note from Marcus' teacher to Day:   "I wish you could have seen how Marcus reacted when he read a note of encouragement from Yenna on Monday morning.  The way his smile grew bigger and bigger while reading that little note on the couch was priceless.  It was the perfect touch to enable him get Passed Advanced on the Reading SOL earlier this week!" (The teacher had solicited notes from family to encourage these little guys on their SOLs--and I'd emailed one that she printed and gave to Marcus.)

Last weekend, as they were traveling to Georgetown for a day together, Day passed the phone around the car so that each person could say "I love you" to me.  Marcus was last.  He whispered, "Don't tell anybody but I love you more than anyone in this car does."

Love from a grandson can make a Yenna's day!

2.

I've been reminded that it's good to admit to the blues when they hit.  We all have them from time to time--like colds, headaches, and allergies.  What comes of telling the truth is that you find out people care, in so many different ways....

3.

Like these: a just-right-timed-and-content phone call from a friend, Kate coming over to make sure I'm okay (even if I wasn't at  at home), Linda K.  treating me to lunch at Zorba's, Mike saying, "Just say the word and I'll come," an email from California Linda including inspiring pages on depression from a new book by Marianne Williamson, and Pam joining me for dinner even though she'd already eaten!  What a feast of friendship yesterday was!

4.

And like this: Charlotte called and said, "The rumor around town is you're not in the best place.  I'm on your street."

So she came in, hopped on my bed with me, and we talked about melancholy and how it's okay to do nothing.  I thought that was super cool--having a friend actually get into my rumpled bed and push back a stack of books, put her head on the pillow, and talk.  "Maybe you should paint this room bright pink like the pink in that giraffe," she said, a comment that came out of the blue and made me laugh.

5.

I restrained myself from wading into maudlin sentimentality yesterday and writing that it would have been my 49th wedding anniversary yada yada yada--yay for me!

6.

This morning Gabi told me that in India when people are going through hard times, the whole family moves in for 40 days! If an aunt's husband dies, the whole family shows up.

The good thing about that story is that it illustrates the kindness and closeness of family; the scary thing about that story is that if it happened here, in my small house, where would I put them all and would I have to feed everybody?

7. Once again, Gabi did her magic on my neck and spirits--and I feel really good tonight!











No comments: