Pages

Thursday, June 30, 2016

The Dreamer Self

I had a dream in which I was driving the tiniest Mini Cooper--even smaller than those adorable vintage ones in England.  In the dream, I was on my way to pick up Elena after school, but the car kept going the wrong way.  Suddenly, it would lurch into reverse, then neutral, then drive.  I believe it was a stick shift, not automatic.

Thank you for indulging me in telling my dream!  Other people's dreams are among the least interesting conversational topics, I know.  But they are made by the Self for the Self's entertainment and/or enlightenment, and this one was easy to interpret.

In a class on dreams led by Marga Speicher, a Jungian therapist in San Antonio, she said,  "When a dream comes, always ask 'What gift do you have for me?'"

According to Jung and his followers, every element in the dream represents the Self--so my dream is quite transparent.  Even a novice dream-reader can read this car dream.

The dreamer feels she is in a small and unreliable carrier at the moment.  She's on her way to pick up a little girl--a younger version of herself.  But she can't get there; she's frustrated; other drivers are impatient with her for twirling around in the roadway, not moving forward.

This dream was probably inspired by the nightly reading I'm doing in Hauntings, a Jungian analysis of how the Self can sabotage itself.  This is a profound book and I may write about it more later.

For now, however, I'm getting ready to go and get the dreaded shot in my neck, hoping for good results.  I am, I admit, very anxious about a needle in my neck and will be glad to have it over with.

In my conscious waking hours, I'm not feeling much anxiety--but the dreams of the last few weeks tell a different story.  Dreams tell the truth in coded language, and if we pay attention, we learn something new about ourselves.

No comments: