Pages

Friday, January 22, 2021

Can we just please go to sleep now?



Luci and I have had a busy week--new washer and dryer, Edward here painting, Tony and his sidekick plumber clearing some pipes of roots, and Reyes starting to build the fence to keep Luci from going for solo runs on the street when she gets a little braver.

We are the ones who go to Home Depot to get more paint, a new set of blinds.  We're the ones who go to the scratch and dent for a scratched and dented matching washer and dryer for our outdoor Laundromat and then back and swap them because we didn't know the dryer had to be gas.

When she's on a leash, Luci seems confident walking through parking lots and into stores, holding her head high as if she's my big guard dog on duty.  She walks down aisles in Home Depot as if she knows her way around this place, maybe owns stock in it, observing the goings on of the employees and shoppers.

She loves it when the workers leave and it's just the two of us, me watercoloring, she hiding a bone behind the sofa for later.  She's waiting for me now to come to bed and turn off the lights so she can get her beauty rest.  

If on occasion, I wake at three and suggest a drive, she looks at me like I'm a crazy woman.  She may have--who knows?--come from a home where people go to bed at nine and stay there all night. (It's hard to overcome early puppy raising practices, but she's not too old to learn a few new tricks.) 

After coaxing her into the car against her will, sometimes resorting to picking her up and tossing her in, she sits on the passenger seat and sighs: "This is not what I had in mind at all."

But then when we get to wherever we're going, she perks up and wags her tail.  "I caught you having fun!" I tell her.  "You can't fool me." 


No comments: