Pages

Sunday, January 24, 2021

Puppy Town

It's been another fun weekend in Puppy-Town. 

Luci has a tendency to show off when she gets to know you.  Yesterday, with the company of Edward and Reyes and Jeremy building a fence and painting, she did her most astonishing show yet.  

We were all gathered around the post holes and Jeremy, Reyes' teenaged son, was showing me a sketch he'd made of the fence, drawn with a marker on a piece of wood.  Maybe that sketch was getting too much of my attention and Luci wanted to divert us all to her racing abilities.  Quicker than I could say "Luci," she took off and ran around the entire house three times, lightning speed, without stopping between each round.  

Here she is with Edward, my painter for the past ten years: 



If we laugh, she keeps going and going and going--like the Energizer Puppy she is.  She looked like a streak of copper and white. 

I obviously can't keep up with her when she runs--thus, the fence.  But when she walks with me on a leash, she's sedate and well-behaved and never gets ahead of me.  I'm sending a big thanks to her former owners, whoever they were, for training her!

Luci may have had a picture in her mind of the perfect human, just as I had one in my mind of the perfect puppy.  She may have envisioned a lean young teenager who could run fast-- as I imagined a black and white poodle mix. 

But she got a woman of a certain age who doesn't run worth a damn and I got a copper and white pup who makes me laugh many times a day. The highlight of our Sunday was a walk to Freda's and a porch visit--and coming home with some delicious chili Freda made. Here she is getting to know Freda:

In spite of preconceived notions of this human, I wouldn't trade this funny little girl for any fancy pedigreed pup.  

This weekend we had several field trips: Home Depot, Tuesday Morning, and the Laundromat.  She is petted by most other shoppers and given treats by a few.  When we left the laundromat last night, three women called out, "Bye, Luci!"  As the old song has it, it's good to go where "everybody knows your name." 



Luci discovered another dog on the porch today--but the new dog wouldn't play with her.  Such a strange world this is!


No comments: