Pages

Monday, December 29, 2014

Dancing

Traveling solo, I haven't had a dance partner in--well, seven years.
Besides, I'm not a natural as a dancer.

Mike is. It was his moves on the dance floor (aka parking lot in Memphis) that sealed the deal our first time around.

And so, this morning, after the seven-year hiatus, I decided to interview Mike on the subject of dancing.

"Dancing is two hearts and souls moving together," he said.  "The more you practice together, the more natural it gets."

"What kinds of dances do you do?" I  asked him.

Knowing that he has a beginner here as a dance partner, he's keeping it simple.  He tells me he used to do the Texas Swing and the Shag, but right now let's concentrate on the Two Step and Variations.  One One Two.  That's it.

"One" is always the right foot for me; "two" is always the left foot.  Easy.  But when the boy swings the girl, it can get confusing.

When, on occasion, I get it right, he says, "Perfect!" When I don't get it right, he says, "Let's do that one again, we messed up a little bit."  We.  I love that.

No comments: