Pages

Monday, December 15, 2014

White Truck on Highway 79

Mike decided to drive straight through, and he's wending his way right now south on Highway 79.  A roast is in the crock pot and I'm about to make him a birthday cake--which I'll share with my writing group tonight.

Tomorrow night, I'm going with Freda and Bonnie and Grant to hear The Blind Boys of Alabama concert.

Mike and I will be spending Christmas with Will and Veronica and the kids.

Christmas is going to be wonderful at my house--and I hope it is at all of yours!  Carlene, Bob and Jocelyn are spending the week of Christmas in a beautiful North Georgia mountain cabin, and Day's dad is driving to Virginia this year.

On the other hand, there are losses that we feel during the holidays.  I'm thinking of the deaths of Uncle David and my good friend Julianne.  And two good men in their eighties who are in the process of leaving--Bill Jenkins (a neighbor who has like a brother to my dad) and Uncle Richard.

We keep driving our trucks down the road and celebrating every minute of life we have--but it's sad to think about the holes in all our lives of the people who've left!

My friend Gerlinde told us at salon about a German practice to honor the dead on Christmas.  Everyone takes lights and stands at the graves of the people they've lost.  I wish we had that tradition-- a way to keep the lights going for those we love who can't be here for the holidays!


No comments: