Pages

Sunday, November 27, 2016

A Taking It Easy Day

Almost two years ago, I met an interesting woman at an antique shop in Georgia  owned by a friend of Mike's.  We sat in old chairs and talked. We had that mutual conversational spark that lets you know you've found a kindred soul.

We exchanged email addresses and planned to stay in touch, but I never heard from her again.

Yesterday, she called from Stone Mountain.  She'd sent me an email and never gotten a response.  I'd done the same.  Who knows where lost letters go in cyberspace?

Since we met, she's decided to leave a corporate job and take it easy for a while, and I told her that Mike and I had broken up. Neither of us went into detail, but it felt like we were both crossing into new territories.  Both of us had experienced some physical and emotional complications before deciding to call it quits.

"Work and relationships shouldn't be hard," she said.  "They should be easy. We're so programmed to stick with things, make them work...."

"What are you doing now?" I asked.

"Nothing!" she said with great joy.  "I'm just taking it easy and doing whatever I feel like."

It was wonderful to hear from her just at that moment.  I got in my new Tiguan and went for a ride to the grocery store for weekend provisions to celebrate.


Today I'm going to do exactly what I did yesterday--read a little of The Nightingale (an excellent novel by Kristin Hannah set in World War II), then a little Bird by Bird, by Anne Lamott, then back to Nightingale, etc. all day long.  Back and forth, a page here, a page there, falling asleep when I get sleepy, waking up when I feel like it.  I love days like this!











No comments: