Pages

Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Dot and Carlene

Such a fun Monday driving Carlene's Malibu to Perry (Middle Georgia where she grew up) to spend the day with her sister Dot!


Dot is holding a counted cross stitch pillow Carlene made for her years ago. 


Dot made us lunch and we spent most of the day talking on her sun porch.  I love listening to the stories they tell together!

Afterwards, Carlene and I drove by their Homeplace--a house not nearly as pretty as it used to be, but I remembered staying with Dot and Mimi and Papa when Bob was born in 1951.  I was three and I mostly remember being fascinated with teenager Dot and the way she rolled her hair.

I also remember Mimi making biscuits and pouring milk out of a pitcher and leaving streaks--mile directly from the cows.


The house used to be white wood, now it's sided over with red.

To the right of the house is a grove of peach trees Papa planted.

We stopped by the Fresh Air barbecue in Jackson on the way home--still the best barbecue anywhere in my opinion.  They've been serving barbecue in the same location since 1929, and it still tastes exactly like it did as I remember it as a child.

Barbecue in Georgia is always pork.

No comments: