Pages

Monday, August 19, 2019

Lady-in-Waiting Gets A Move on

A few years ago I hired "landscapers" named, ironically "Successful Trucking and Landscaping" to create an appealing back yard.   Instead, they botched it completely.

     Lesson #1: Don't hire workers whose number you get from a sign.

Four months ago, I began hiring handymen to repair a broken door and other things in my house.  Four men--two competent but unavailable, two clueless. ("Can you do so-and-so?" I ask--and they all say, "Yes, sure!" because they are men and don't want to lose face?)

And so I remained a lady in waiting--waiting for them to work when they promised, waiting for someone who knew what he was doing, waiting to move on to the next thing.  It was frustrating.

     Lesson #2: Ask people you know personally for reliable experts, then ask those experts for dates--and if they don't appear, hire someone else.

I have an excellent plumber named Tony, an excellent electrician, also named Tony.  And I found a solid landscaper, but her plan, while attractive, wasn't going to happen until October.

Last week, Will and Bonnie announced that they would like to do the yard for me!  And this week, it's evolving beautifully,! River rocks and native plants--salvia, crepe myrtle, Blackfoot daisies, Esperanza, and dwarf Euonymus--are now planted.  And to put the cherry on top of the whipped cream, they installed an underground irrigation system.

             

Day Four


Reyes who's doing the work is an all-round expert in landscaping, home repair and remodeling.  I am over-joyed and so grateful to Will and Bonnie for their generosity and to Reyes for knowing how to follow their plans.

In a year or two, these baby plants will be even fatter and happier--like me!


No comments: