Pages

Monday, October 16, 2023

Día de los Muertos--November 2

When I first moved to San Antonio in 1967, I was wide-eyed at the tradition of skeletons dressed up like brides and grooms, skeletons posed on porches. I thought it was creepy. 

Since then, I've learned a lot more about the tradition and I think it's wonderful.  Today I'm making my first día de los Meuertos altar.

The first step has taken most of the day--gathering pictures of loved ones no longer physically present. 

It all started with my daddy's watch.  Then I found lots of pictures of him throughout his life, pictures of his parents (Mama Jim and Daddy Jim) and his four siblings.  Bob sent me this photo of my daddy's mother, the grandmother I knew less well than Mimi.  She had five children and died in her sixties when I was 12. 

Rose Harris

My nephew Canaan, who died of a very aggressive cancer on March 13th this year, was a pastor in Colorado, a husband, and father of two.   Here he is at Nana and Granddaddy's the year I made clown costumes for all the cousins.  


Others will join these: my friend Gary who died ten years ago; two daughters of two of my closest friends, both of whom died three years ago;  Mary Frances Weathersby, a vibrant yoga teacher and friend for many years; my mother's three brothers and my daddy's four siblings; my great-grandmother Cana so beloved by Carlene, though she died before I was born.

Altars also include items enjoyed by the deceased loved ones--fruit, candy, ornaments, jewelry, books, poems, teddy bears, etc. 

I've included a beautiful red wooden heart covered with Milagros--a birthday present from Charlotte; a garland of orange paper flowers from Mary Locke; an orange ceramic pumpkin and candles and a garland of orange flowers.

The final piece is a strand of twinkly lights or candles, reminders of the lights of friends and family members.


No comments: