Pages

Friday, October 20, 2023

Under-Standing

Once upon a time in writing group, Kate introduced Cecelia as "everybody's fairy godmother."  Kate was right. After a long absence, going from doctor to doctor, therapist to therapist, I have returned to Fairy Godmother Cecelia.  She's more than a massage therapist; she's a teacher.  "Bodies talk to me," she said.

Not only is her work helping my neuropathy, but she considers the whole body and mind. Today she asked me three key questions, all with a foot-related issue:What am I not understanding?  In what ways do I not stand up for myself?  What can I not stand?

On the scale of woo-woo, Cecelia is about as far to the high end as it gets. I'm re-finding advantages to unconventional ways of dealing with pain.  

Astrology, trusting one's own guidance, palm reading, meditating, mysticism, finding out what we're here for "in our wisdom years"--these may or may not speak to you, but some of these supernatural pathways may be just what the doctor ordered--though a real doc might look at them with raised eyebrows. 

Scar tissue and neuropathy are real, as are cancer, arthritis, and all the ailments that befall humans.  But the medical community's job is to provide relief (usually with pharmaceuticals), not overall healing.  Maybe, according to woo-woo thinking, the pain has shown up "to show us something" about ourselves.  

Folk and herbal remedies can go a long way toward healing the body and mind.  From here on out, having tried every conventional therapy I know of, I'm putting all my eggs in the basket of the Fairy Godmother! 


The following is related, but I'll save the thread that connects them for another post--when I don't have an Uber coming before the crack of dawn:

Just last night I watched Season 2 of World on Fire (PBS).  

Sir James, who's staying in Robina's house during the war, asks her to marry him.  They are both in their sixties, very strong-willed and attractive people for whom responsibility seems a higher currency than happiness. While it's clear that she has feelings for him, she refuses his proposal.

James: "I think you're afraid to be happy."

Robina: "But I have to choose between my happiness and my greater responsibilities."

This is the take away line, spoken by Sir James: "Your happiness IS your greatest responsibility."

I offer you this line as a ponderable! 


No comments: