Pages

Monday, October 5, 2026

Luci's love affair


What a wonderful walk now that it's October!  I'd forgotten that it could be cool, walked out of the house in my shorts on auto-dress. 

Luci is the kind of dog who isn't widely socialized around canines.  Maybe she thinks she's a human?  At any rate, she usually responds to other dogs with moderate to no pleasure.  There is, however, an exception. She LOVES Labrador Retrievers--even though they are about five times her size.

A couple of blocks down there is a handsome white lab and nothing in the world makes her happier than seeing him through his fence.  She shrieks with joy and leaps around like a puppy.  When we get to his fence, they lick each other and greet each other with delight, though the lab is more restrained and zen about it all.  Luci's like a crazy lady wanting to get inside the gate to play. This morning I almost took her off her leash to see what she'd do because she could literally squeeze through the bars of his gate if I let her, and who knows if she'd come back!

I wish labs came in miniature sizes so I could get her a playmate.  

I would love to know what it is about Labs that make them universally loved and trusted, even by a little dog who never trusts a big dog.  Does anyone know?

No comments: