Pages

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Air B&B in Las Cruces, New Mexico

My first experience with AirB&B is one to write home about!
I have a private room cooled by a swamp cooler--which is quite a novelty to me.
Renate, the owner and hostess, is from Germany--like Barbel whom I'm on my way to see on Tuesday. One day, she got in her car on a road trip from Charleston, and picked this beautiful part of New Mexico for her home.  In our first hour, we discovered we have a lot in common--except she hikes extensively: 500 miles in the last three months!

Probably because of the humidity, the sunsets here are amazing--something I always notice in New Mexico.

I always pick something to look for each day.  Today it was Eighteen-wheelers.

Driving east on I10, as I was driving west, were thousands of big rigs, and their shiny colors entertained me for hours.  There were the usual whites and reds, of course--but many of  these guys were decked out in lime sherbet green, Road-Strip yellow, Merlot, grape bubble gum purple, and about fifteen different shades of turquoise.  I'm thinking these truckers must custom paint their cabs to get such vivid colors.

My favorites were a hot pink one with red stripes, and one that was eye-popping lavender!  As  I watched the constant parade of big rigs, I couldn't help thinking how like a necklace it was--bead after bead moving along an endless string of highway.  Driving in the desert, with no billboards, the road goes on forever and the party never ends!


No comments: