Pages

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Six Years Ago, To the Day....


This picture was taken in Memphis, Tennessee.  I was on the sixth day of my New England Solo Road Trip, had just met a man named Mike in Hope, Arkansas.  We'd danced in every parking lot between Hope and Memphis; we'd ridden through the Great Smokey Mountains on his Harley for a couple of days, and we'd danced the night before on Beale Street. I was--how shall I say it?--crazy in love that day.

As he snapped this picture, I was heading east--toward Virginia, then Connecticut, then to Maine.  Would I like some company? he wondered.

The smile on my face is me saying no, not this time, though it was tempting....

When a girl has a vision quest, when a girl needs solitude, the real romance is with the road.  I had to go the rest of the way solo, I said.  I'd come back to Georgia on my way home.  We'd see where that other road was leading.

When you set out on a solo road trip, you never know who or what you'll discover along the way.  As I head out on another road trip, I'm looking for big skies and big waters and western fall colors.  But the thrill of traveling is not knowing exactly what you're looking for until you see it.

Riding around, stopping wherever you like, taking pictures. meeting strangers--that's its own dance!  My theme song for road trips is Keb Mo's "She Just Wants to Dance."

It goes like this: "She ain't looking for a lover; she ain't looking for a romance, she just wants to dance...."

If Day can figure out how to add the song to this blog, I'll post it so you can sing along....