Pages

Friday, July 11, 2014

Full Moon, Full Circle, at the Lightning Creek

Thirty years ago, Helotes

         My children grew up in Helotes, not far from where a young singer named Willie Nelson got his start--in Helotes.  This bridge filled with children--my two and friends with whom they grew up--was on our seven-acres on Scenic Loop.  Two miles down was the curvy little township of Grey Forest--where my friend Kathy lived.  (Kathy's two girls are at the end, next to Will; my daughter Day is the tallest with the red socks)

         Every morning, Kathy and I woke at five and walked those streets of Grey Forest in the dark, talking nonstop, then we'd wake up our kids, get them off to school, and start our work days.  I always remember these long morning walks with such fondness--and haven't had the discipline (or the walking partner) to walk that early since moving into San Antonio 18 years ago.

         Last night, knowing I wouldn't see a rodeo for three weeks, I headed out to Helotes.  Will and Veronica were packing for their trip (they are leaving today to fly to Virginia to see Day and her family) so I picked up Elena and took her to visit my friend Kathy and her five-year-old granddaughter, Maggie.  Then we four all went to the rodeo together.

       Maggie looks uncannily like her mother Erin used to look;  here she is with the newest of their dogs, a Great Pyranees they recently rescued. With all the dogs and cats and a little girl to play with, Elena felt instantly at home. She wanted to swim in  Kathy's pool, but we'd forgotten to bring her "swim soup."

Maggie and Mercy
        To see Elena and Maggie playing and sitting together in the bleachers gave me deja vu: reminding me of the years their parents played together 30 years ago.



        This wonderful country rodeo happens every Friday night in Pipe Creek at 8:00--and it's pure Texas, pure Americana. The announcer plays classic western music and tells corny jokes.  It's a foot-tapping and happy place to be. And of course, there are the camels and  ostrich and donkeys and sheep and bulls....all residents of the Lightning Ranch.

        As the white horses pranced around and the Star Spangled Banner played, I felt a bit teary and nostalgic.  As I walked around the rodeo field with my friend to get cotton candy for the little girls, the full moon shining, I felt it again--so lucky to be here, more or less intact, and walking happily along to the sound of "That Good Old Time Rock and Roll."

Elena and Veronica getting ready for the opening rodeo parade

           Bob Seger's song was playing--from the announcer's stand:

                            Still like that old time rock and roll
                            That kind of music just soothes the soul
                            I reminisce about the days of old
                            With that old time rock and roll. 






No comments: