Pages

Friday, June 19, 2015

Arrived in Georgia Wednesday Night--Leaving for Virginia this morning


Carlene gave me the gift of fried squash when I arrived--along with pork chops, fresh tomatoes, and butterbeans.  I told her I could eat a whole bowl of that squash--it's my favorite.

You slice yellow crookneck squash, cover it with cornmeal and fry it in oil until it's real brown, turning it with a spatula.  I ordered more Thursday night, just squash and tomatoes, and it was delicious.

During the day, like everyone else, we were absorbed with the grim news of South Carolina. It's unimaginable how one small man with a gun can take nine large lives in a matter of minutes.


I drove from Lawrenceville to Hartwell on Thursday and Mike greeted me with flowers in his bright yellow kitchen.  That night,we continued to watch the news, as families of the South Carolina victims talked about their loved ones, as whites and blacks made memorials together outside the church.



No comments: