Pages

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

The best laid plans...

Visiting Natchitoches and Natchez didn't work out.

The clerk in the lobby (whose baby was due three days ago)  let me know that it was pouring rain in that direction, so I took the tried and true Interstate--all the way here to Meridian, Mississippi.

After stopping for an hour in West Monroe to poke around in Antique Alley, I kept driving through Louisiana and Mississippi. The motels in Jackson were full, and it took three tries here in Meridian to find one that was okay.



The Mississippi Bridge in Vicksburg

GPS says that Carlene's house is only five hours away--so I should make it there tomorrow, no problem.

This has been one of those rare road trip days that make me question my usual bravado about traveling solo!

I got a refresher course today in what I already knew:

1. Stop and find a room before dark--or call ahead and book one, if you have phone service in the car.

2. Take the time to eat a healthy meal in the middle of the day.

By the time I ended up in this odd little town (or is it just odd after dark, with all its confusing two-way frontage roads?) I was so hungry and exhausted my brain was fried.  Looking for a place to eat, I got lost in a downpour in the deserted downtown and had to stop and ask directions of two inebriated  old men drinking outside at the convenience store. (They must have been regulars; the clerk said, "Ask them.") They gave me directions, but then one of them asked if he could ride back to Texas with me.

What a day!  I'm glad it's over..




No comments: