Pages

Thursday, January 19, 2017

Gold's Gym

I've been putting this gym thing off for a long time, but I did it.  I not only joined, but I wound up taking a class called Stretch and Flex with Bonnie--who told me about it.  The teacher is a sweet pregnant woman named Alicia, and I found that I could do almost everything a little bit, though I had to stifle a few groans when moving from one position to another.  I'd expected a class full of beautiful bodies in Spandex, but most of  my classmates were people over fifty and we were all about the same level of glamorous, not very.

The membership guy was a young handsome man with thick black eyebrows and hair with an accent I couldn't quite place.  Turns out he's Persian and knows my new hair cutter, Leila.  What a coincidence that I'd meet two young people from Iran the same week, as we don't have a very large community of Iranian people in San Antonio!

We talked for half an hour after my class and I'm excited about starting a new venture and improving this health situation.  They have a pool and sauna and water sports are reputably the best for fibromyalgia or whatever this thing is I have.

Next stop: Synergy Studio to sign up for NIA, which I'll do at 8:00 on Monday mornings.

The outer space at Gold's is not attractive--all the machines.  I won't be doing machines.  But inside the class, it's quiet and peaceful and the teacher explains the moves very well for those of us who were stretched out on our yoga mats.

A bonus is that for older people, like me, the membership is free under Silver Sneakers, paid for by Blue Cross.  Another is that I get a free personal training session tomorrow morning.

So--here goes!


No comments: