Pages

Sunday, January 28, 2018

First Letter From Day

I have spent this afternoon going through two big boxes of letters, cards, and photographs of my children and using them to make a scrapbook in my new journal.  Memories tumble on top of each other like confetti, going back and forth in no particular order.

Here's my daughter as a baby, then a bride, then a 12-year-old dancer, then a mom, then pregnant before that baby is born, then a mom of two, then a big sister welcoming her baby brother into the world, all aglow with love, then a teacher with quotes on the blackboard....

Here's my baby boy, then a boy batting at a ball in Little League, then a firefighter on his first day standing beside Granddaddy Lloyd, then a daddy of two, then a little boy again riding a tricycle, then a groom, then a baby in his sister's arms....

I found a "Thank you Mommy and Daddy for giving me a baby brother" card from the seven-year-old big sister.

I also found this note on a recipe card:

PLESE COME PLAY WITH ME!  Be my friend for a while. I love you!  Check YES or NO or MABEY SO (With three little squares where I checked yes!) But NOW plese!

I write back: In five minutes.

She writes: NOW 4:29. When you come it will be 4:34.  5 Minutes OKAY


I wish I had hung up the phone at 4:29.  I want those five minutes back.

No comments: