Pages

Thursday, April 30, 2015

East Texas Thursday Night

Hutto, Texas, is the first town on Highway 79.  The downtown is beautiful, but nearly deserted.  We love old towns like Hutto! (The town mascot is a hippo--and you see them all over town.)

We stopped in for a glass of tea at the Texas Cafe and had the hands-down most delicious slice of apple pie either of us has ever had.   We're wishing now we'd bought a whole pie.


Then we stopped at a vintage shop in Taylor--where I bought a poster for writing group and a vintage yard stick for my yard stick collection, out of which I'm planning to make something.

One of the saleswomen gave us a present from a customer who had just left--Isabel from the newspaper.  Mike had struck up a conversation with her and she bought us a cookie and had it gift-wrapped.


A few miles down the road, I said, "I wish I had bought two more yardsticks," and Mike turned around and went back and bought them for me!

We had boiled crawfish for dinner and Mike's fingers are tired from peeling the pound--but oh, my Gosh, they were delicious!



Both of us are exhausted from our month-long construction project, so we've stopped at a motel here in Jewett, Texas--a place Mike stayed in November and liked.

Tomorrow will be a long day on the road--and today has been wonderful!

No comments: