Pages

Sunday, October 18, 2015

Daisy

We call her Daisy--my daughter, Day Leary.  She's now been married to Tom for as many years as she was my little girl, and she's a teacher of English at Falls Church High School.  On the days during our birthday retreat, she entertained us with many stories (acted out in grand style as she does so well) about her students and faculty members at her school.

Listening to her, I learned a lot about teaching, too--as education has changed a lot since the days when I was a public school and college teachers.  For one, they work in teams now.  I was, as a teacher, what Day calls a "solo practitioner"--teaching my classes in my own way.  Her team comes up with a cohesive philosophy for their department instead of everyone flying solo as we did in my teaching years, working now on something called "vertical articulation"--making sure that each grade teaches what will be followed up on in the next grade.

She's also an avid quilter and she takes one of her own beautiful quilts with her wherever she goes to wrap herself in as we sit on the bed talking.  She calls it her "security blanket."

She's artsy, dramatic, funny, and passionate about teaching.  Here is the bird house she chose at the fair:



And here's mine:


This email-poem from her friend and colleague Rachel, describes Daisy so well:

Happy belated from me, too,
my sweet, strong, wonderful,
creative, beautiful,
transformative quilting genius
who takes
the odd pieces of life
and makes them a better whole.


My artistic, red-loving, dot-drawing, swirl making,
doodling, drawing, journaling,
organic planning partner extraordinaire,
with her crazy, curly hair.


A Big Texas-hearted sweetheart teacher-
English Preacher-
relentless defender,
coccoa-sipping, rainy bleacher seater,
google doccer, blanket-wrapped friend.


I am so glad you are in my life.
And I don't know how it is that you can't stand the
cold, when you have such a big, warm heart!


Thanks for being my friend!

No comments: