Pages

Saturday, October 31, 2015

Good Things and Bad Things

One of my best friends has some great news--though I'm not yet at liberty to advertise it.  I'll just say it falls into the category of "When Really Good Things Happen to Really Good People."  And I'll also say that it falls into the category of knowing what you want, holding fast to it even when your friends are advising otherwise, and then watching it all happen.

Sometimes Bad Things happen to Good People, too--as the Rabbi Kushner book told us decades ago. And sometimes Bad Things turn into Good Things--for people of all stripes.

I was talking to Diana on the phone this morning and it seems that her good thing (her new puppy, Roz) is contributing to bad things (like falling and bruising herself on two morning walks).

After talking about the mix of things that have happened since we saw each other last, she told me about taking a walk, losing her glasses, looking everywhere, then finding them, unharmed in the driveway.  I told her about the time, recently, that I lost my glasses in North Georgia and they later turned up.  And the time I left a parking lot with only one lens in those same bifocals (without which I cannot read) and returned an hour later to find that lens in the parking lot, uncrushed by all the cars that had been there since I left.

At Carlene's I dropped my iPhone on the tile and it appeared to shatter beyond repair.  Thankfully, I had bought one of those plastic screen covers, and it absorbed the shock, not the phone.

I have an old tape of Will talking when he was two.  Apparently, we were looking at butterflies--after he'd just learned about snakes.  "Is that a good butterfly or a bad butterfly?" he asked.

Tricks and treats are all around us on this Halloween day--but the best thing is that the weather is perfect for our party tonight.  Will walked out on the porch this morning and captured this happy moment, unposed:

Elena holding Halloweena

The two little boys next door have had pneumonia and strep throat this week--a bad thing.  But here they are all well--a very good thing:

Sebastien and Makken


HAPPY HALLOWEEN, EVERYBODY!

No comments: