Pages

Friday, October 23, 2015

Lawrenceville, Dahlonega, Athens, and Hartwell

After our birthday retreat, I spent a relaxing week in Lawrenceville at Carlene's.

Here's a picture of Bob and Jocelyn, Carlene and me, celebrating three October birthdays.



I don't have a picture to show of Betty because she doesn't care for photo-ops.  She came on Wednesday and we drove to Dawsonville and Dahlonega.  To make up for not having a picture of Betty and me together, I snapped the coconut cake I had for lunch in Dahlonega.  Betty doesn't like coconut cake, so the entire slice is on me, literally.

Betty and I don't have nearly as much time together as we'd like to have, but we make the most of it.  She's getting Claire (the talented granddaughter she's been mother to for her entire 16 years) ready for college, including two recent trips to New York to see Broadway plays and investigate colleges.


Betty recommended Home Fires on PBS, and Carlene and I watched and loved the first three episodes.

Here's a picture of Mary Elizabeth, my kindred-spirit niece, who spent Thursday night with us.  She's working on her massage therapy program in Denver, and happened to have a trip home that coincided with mine.

She loves walking around Carlene's house and looking at her pictures and treasures, including a kaleidoscope that Carlene made back in her stained-glass-making days.

"I wish you wouldn't move things around all the time," Will once said to me about my ever-changing house.   "I like how it is at Nana's.  Everything is always right where it was the last time."  I think all six grandchildren share that sentiment.






When Mike picked me up, we discovered Philanthropie, a great shop in Athens--a beautifully decorated artsy shop filled with beautiful architectural details, windows and barn wood.  He picked out and bought me a dress, sweater vest, and hat--and I walked out happy!







My daddy got his degree in Athens, 1948--the year I was born.  We lived in Married Housing and my mother typed dissertations for income.  Who'd have thought I'd wind up back there sixty-seven years later with this man in a Texas hat?

It's been a fabulous birthday!  The drive to and through Hartwell was beautiful--and today we're heading to Dawsonville for a car show and whatever else shows up.




No comments: