Pages

Saturday, September 2, 2017

Colombia in San Antonio

I spent my first day back with the totally engaging telenovela, La Esclava Blanca.  It's so long I'm still not even halfway through.  The colors, photography, houses, and wardrobes are so vivid I'd compare it more to a stage production than a realistic rendering of the times and people of 19th century Colombia.  Scene after scene is like a painting, some of my favorites being the ones in which people are shopping in the market place, the slave women gorgeous in their multi-colored turbans and dresses.

The pacing is slow--which I've enjoyed.  Sometimes there are illogical issues--like how did the lawyers transport an entire legal library to the town when they only traveled in a small carriage? like how do these slaves look so beautiful in their attire after working all day in the fields?--but the story isn't marred by those details when you appreciate the genre for what it is.  It's a series I'm hooked on.  Thanks, Gerlinde!




No comments: