Pages

Wednesday, February 3, 2021

The Mixed Media Photography Book

In Tuscany, I loved watching Nellie drawing in her journal.  In addition to taking photographs, she also captured street scenes and sculptures in sketches.  One day she showed me how to tape over a picture with wide packing tape, soak it in water, rub the picture off the back, then glue it into a journal or use it in a collage.  

I still remember that vividly--just as I remember visiting her in in her home in Florida and making artist trading cards  by tearing bits of pictures and words from magazines and gluing them onto regular playing cards.  For someone who has no talent at drawing,  the concept of collage was, and still is, intriguing.

I've been watching videos by Nitsa Malik.  She takes her own photographs and other high-contrast images and transfers them to paper, wood, glass, and canvas.  She makes it look so easy.  I spent yesterday transferring pictures from glossy magazines to paper.  Three of them were successful, most were not.  But I had a fun day trying and will continue doing it today.

Her book, The Mixed Media Photography Book, arrived last week and I'm studying it the way I studied The McCalls Make It Book my daddy brought back from a trip when I was about 12 years old.  I absolutely love learning how to do manipulate images and this book has introduced me to so many techniques I intend to master.  




No comments: