Pages

Monday, February 8, 2021

Toes, a hug, a flag, and a vlog

I met a man once who said, "I'm not marrying or dating again--unless I find someone who's as happy to see me as my dog is."  

I get it--even though  I've actually had no recent offers for dating or marriage. 

This morning, I returned from my first pedicure in months.  Even though I have a fenced yard now, I can't bear to drive away with Luci all alone behind the gate, looking longingly in my direction, probably hoping I'll let her out so she can have a little romp next door with Carma.  (The truth is I'm afraid someone will take her.) So I left her in the house for two long hours.

I probably could have taken her to the nail salon and shoe shop. I'm learning that many places welcome dogs. I was the only customer in both shops, as it turned out, and the clerk at the Birkenstock Store said yes, sure, bring your dog any time; we love dogs.  

When I returned, Luci got up on the dining table the better to welcome me home eye to eye.  She stood on her hind legs and trustingly threw her two front legs around my neck, wagging her tail and whole self in an ecstatic puppy hug, her first table top hug--and definitely mine!

Then I got package from the Senate.  A note of explanation, but no name of the sender.  The minute I opened it, I knew it had to be from Tom--as anyone who knows Tom would know!  It was a United States flag, flown over the capitol on the day after Biden's inauguration.  

That gift and my happiness to receive it said so much about Tom's love of America and our shared excitement over this election.  I love it! 

My energy is still low; all I could manage today were the pedicure and getting new walking shoes. So tonight, I got in bed and bounced around from one art video to another. ending with a vlog by a British woman who calls herself The Unexpected Gypsy.

Usually I watch videos because I'm attracted to the art, but in this case, it's the artist herself I enjoy. She's refreshingly who she is--no make up, messy hair, moody.  

The Unexpected Gyspy

I stumbled across one last week in which she was talking about her depression during lockdown, watched a couple of minutes and moved on.  Tonight's episode was about moving from her former studio space, which she loved, to a new space, which she loved even more. 

"Sometimes you have to let go of what doesn't belong to you any more," she said.   

I love that line! 

If I made vlogs, I'd have to at least comb my hair, put on a dab of lipstick, and clean up the room where I was filming--but Gypsy here just turns on the camera and goes about her day and talks to her viewers as if we're her best friends who just popped in.  

Her closing line's good, too: 

"Keep your vibes up and your lights bright"









No comments: