Pages

Friday, January 7, 2022

1/6/22

A year ago on January 6th, Janet called me to tell me she had found my dog at SNIPSA, but I was so down-hearted over the insurrection that I turned her down.  The sky was falling.  Where would I find the space for a dog? 

Nevertheless, she persisted!

Janet had kept her a couple of nights and had fallen in love with her.  Would it be okay if she drove over, just for a look?    Okay, I said, I'll meet her--and if I don't take her, Jan might; she wants a dog too.

I had all my reasons at the ready.  I'd have to get a fence built.  What if I didn't like her enough--or vice versa?  What if she chewed my rugs and furniture?  Would she be a barker?  

Janet had sent me pictures, but I was surprised by how tiny she was.  Jan held her first and I could tell she'd adopt her if I didn't.  So okay, let me just hold her, I said.

She had just been spayed and was quiet and lethargic, possibly in pain, possibly still wondering how she got from where she used to be to this porch with these three strangers.  She barely moved when Janet put her in my arms.  

Within a couple of minutes, she put her head on my shoulders and I knew she was--as Janet had predicted--"my dog." My questions and doubts vanished. She followed me around like a shadow and never wanted me out of her sight.  

When the fence-builder came, I teasingly said, "Who needs a fence for a dog who won't get two feet away?"

At that exact moment, as if she understood what I'd said, she took three rip-roaring laps around my house, the fastest little runner I'd ever seen.  When she gave out of gas, she stopped and looked at me as if she meant to make a point.  

A year in, she gets better and better.  I took her to a thrift store yesterday and one woman said, "She's so clean and soft!"  (I never bathe her; she grooms herself like a cat.) 

Then Freda texted to ask if Luci might like a walk in the sunshine.  I can't mention Freda's name until I see her in the driveway because Luci jumps about three feet off the floor in glee. 

January 6th is the anniversary of a very dark day.  

But January 7th, 2021--that's the day that some serious sunshine showed up. 



No comments: