Pages

Friday, January 28, 2022

Favorite Things

Before I start going on a bit with my post-midnight thoughts, I'd like to ask you a question:

What is your favorite thing to do (alone or with someone else) so enjoyable that when you do it, you lose all track of time?  Furthermore, it's something  you're good at, really good at, at least on your best days of doing it. 

I'm pausing now for you to raise your hands and tell us. 

What?  No one is answering?  

Okay, Plan B: I'm giving you a couple more minutes to write it down--then you can read it to us. Don't be shy, I'm telling you, because everyone is good at something, really!  It's not bragging if the teacher makes you write it. (And bribes you with extra credit for participating)

I am literally waiting for you to write now.  I see your pens moving on paper.  I mean,  I see your fingers typing on your iPads. 

"Are you thinking of something?" I say to a boy on the middle row who is writing, fast, with unexpected enthusiasm. 

Wait.  

He's telling me he's writing an email to his girlfriend.  One of his girlfriends, he says with that look on his face you see on the faces of boys of a certain age.  (I'm pretty sure I can guess what he thinks he's good at.)  The class is giggling.  



So how about you,  Miranda?

I'm just going to stop writing right now, I'll tell you mine later.  (I wish this were an interactive page and answers would fly in all at the same time like in a real class, but it's not.  If you wish to send me your answers via email, I'll be happy to post them.)

What do you love doing so much that you forget what time it is?  AND you're good at it--by your own infallible judgment, which is, really, the only opinion that matters right now. 







No comments: