Pages

Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Did you know that the skeleton of the human body remodels itself every ten years?  

According to Nathan, a font of such facts, he's on his 2nd skeleton; I'm on my 8th. 

We Old Bone people didn't grow up with screens that span the earth's data base so fast it makes your head spin, but Young Bone people don't know life without the Internet. My grandchildren teach me how to ask Siri a question, how to change the wallpaper on the Home Screen, and remind to save battery life by closing all the open windows.  

Old Bone People asked their parents questions or--if they were busy--asked encyclopedias or dictionaries.  Wallpaper was something my mother used to cover walls in the bedroom.  Windows were the openings in those walls we ran to close when it rained.  

The only screens we had were the ones in the windows that kept out flies and mosquitoes because our houses were not air conditioned. And, of course, the glass on the one black and white television in the house.  Telephones were attached to the wall with a cord, practical black rotary things, and only smart enough to call people who lived in other houses, like me calling Betty 6627. 

"Siri, take me home," command young drivers.  And Siri, bless her heart, gives them turn by turn directions.

The few times I've tried to address Smart Siri, she says, "Sorry, I didn't get that."  Must be something related to the age of my bones.  That or my slightly-Southern accent? 







No comments: