Pages

Tuesday, January 25, 2022

A sofa story

I recently sold a beautiful sofa I'd bought at Stowers.  It was almost perfect--comfortable, great color, nice shape.  But I knew the minute it was delivered that it was too large for my small low-ceilinged house.  My friend who bought it has a large airy house with lots of light and the sofa looks in her house the way I imagined it when I bought it. 

I searched the stores and internet for a good quality low-profile sofa.  All deliveries were three and four months out.  When I found the "perfect" sofa at Joybird online ready to ship in two weeks, I took that as a sign and ordered it.  They promised "white glove delivery."

After two canceled deliveries, today was finally the day it arrived. 

When it was delivered, I saw no white gloves, no leather gloves, no mittens. Two men unboxed it in the street and walked it into the house without wrapping it.  Even as they were coming up the driveway I could see what looked like grimy spots on it.  When they came inside, they rubbed it against the turquoise door.  

Sure enough, there were visible signs of dirty hands--or something--along with a splotch of green.  





"No problem," they said.  "We can leave this one here until a replacement comes in a few weeks."

I sat on it.  My feet could only reach the floor if I sat way forward.  The cushions were hard and uncomfortable.  "No thank you," I said.  "You can take it back."

And so, voila! Not-Quite-Perfect Sofa went away.  

My favorite chair is a red rocker, vintage 1940s, purchased for $14 at a used furniture store, then re-padded and upholstered in red fabric.  It's sturdy and comfortable, and I have about $450 in it. 

For that price in today's furniture, the best I could hope for would be a chair made of MDF with cheap fabric stapled on it, made to last for a couple of years tops.  

Furniture back in the day was made to last: good springs, thick filler, solid wood frames.  If I ever do get another sofa, it will either be a good solid vintage sofa, or one that I can actually test in person.  

But maybe today's sofa will be my last.  I'd always wanted a white fabric sofa and now I've scratched that itch.  For about five minutes, I had one. 



No comments: