Pages

Sunday, January 23, 2022

What can you do with a Post-It note?

Elena's 4th grade teacher uses them for warnings.  If a student commits a particular offense, said student is given a Post-It note: Warning.  

What do you do to get one? I ask.

Mostly talk, she says.  I have a lot to say seems like.

I tell her about how I was just like that at her age and had to write "I will not talk" a hundred times almost every day.  It never worked, obviously, or I wouldn't have had to write it so many times.  

I tell her how I used to make a vertical row of Is, then wills, then nots, then talks.  That's a stupid punishment, she thinks.

"But I say in my head," she continues, Lady, I'm not scared of Post It notes. 

At precisely 3:15 every morning, my leg wakes me up.  I was awake until 7:00, so I'm not going to make it to the 9 am rodeo.

Instead of going out to the playhouse in the cold, I watch some Jane Davies' tutorials, get inspired, get up and make toast and chocolate milk, take some pills, turn off the phone, and try really hard to go back to sleep.  

And think of ways I can use Post-It notes in collage later, after a long nap with Luci.  We're not scared of Post-It notes. 

No comments: