Pages

Sunday, January 30, 2022

Faves, Part 2

Thanks to Bonnie Lyons, the first one who responded to my ask for "favorite things" --

What I love to do so much is READ. Right now I am lost, happily lost,, en rereading Louise Erdrich's "love Medicine."

One of the many bonuses of having friends who love to read is remembering exactly where I was when I read the book mentioned (Love Medicine 25 or so years ago in Grey Forest) and getting introduced to new ones. 


Knock on wood: thanks to the brilliant body work of massage therapist Gabi Marcus, I have enjoyed two glorious pain free days!  

I can't recommend her highly enough for anyone dealing with pain in your back or neck or wherever.  I've been seeing Gabi for years and she's amazing, as is her work. 

The sciatica/lumbar pain has been so strong the past few weeks that I rarely go anywhere except to the grocery store, so yesterday Jan and I were able to enjoy a couple of pain-free (for me) delightful (for all of us)  hours on Lorraine's roof in the sunshine! 


On the way home, Jan introduced me to a Middle Eastern grocery store where she buys pita and other things, then to a baklava bakery in the same shopping center. Glass cases showcased shelves of artfully decorated sweets, pure eye candy. We bought samples of three different kinds of incredibly delicious baklava, and we'll definitely be going back there. 


I'm awake in the middle of the night--not with pain this time, but watching a newly discovered New Zealand artist who demonstrates gel printing techniques and collage making.  On today's video, she tells her story about being given away by her birth mother 50 year ago and her "journey home" to New Zealand from Australia in the past five years.  

Froyle's Gel Printing


This is where I can lose all track of time: learning new techniques for mono printing on a gel plate.  Of all the things I've explored, gel printing is the most engaging and absorbing, unpredictable and full of surprises. 

Jan loves it too.  Occasionally she takes a break from the color-filled quilt she's making and joins me in brayering paint and pulling prints.  With gel printing, you never know what you're going to get; the pleasure is in the unrepeatable surprises. 



No comments: